The University of Kansas, Lawrence Campus is committed to being a positive and creative force in the protection and enhancement
of the local and global environment through its teaching, research, public service, administrative and support operations.
Recognizing that some of its activities, because of their scale and scope, have significant impacts on the environment, the
University as an institution, and all members of the University community, have a responsibility to act in ways consistent with
the following principles and objectives:
- Minimize negative impacts on the environment
- Conserve and wisely use natural resources
- Respect biodiversity and natural systems
Members of the University of Kansas - Lawrence Campus are expected to:
- Comply with all laws, regulations and University of Kansas policies and procedures relating to environmental health
- Emphasize environmental safety awareness and education.
- Minimize energy use through efficient management and practice.
- Minimize water use through efficient management and practice.
- Minimize solid and hazardous waste generation through reduction in use, reuse, recycling and prudent purchasing of
- Minimize polluting effluents and emissions.
- Minimize noise, odor, and visual pollution.
- Minimize the use of hazardous chemicals.
- Improve purchasing specifications for all goods and services in order to optimize the level of reusable, recycled,
and/or recyclable content of all goods.
- Be attentive to biodiversity and environmental impacts when making decisions relating to planning, landscaping,
facilities management and construction.
Vice Provosts, Deans, Department Chairs, Principal Investigators, Directors, Managers and Supervisors are expected to
support implementation of this policy and assure compliance within their areas of administrative responsibility. All employees,
students and guests of the University are expected to carry out their duties and activities in a manner which supports the
principles and objectives stated.
The Department of Environment, Health & Safety coordinates this policy, under the direction of the Office of the Provost,
with input and advice of the KU-Lawrence Campus Environment, Health & Safety Council, its subsidiary committees and the FO
Environmental Stewardship Program.
The role and responsibilities of the Environment, Health, & Safety Council are described in "Environment, Health and
Safety Council, Composition and Roles." (See also Appendix
3 of the Kansas University Safety Plan.)
The role and responsibilities of the EHS Council Committees are described in "Standing Committees of the Environment,
Health and Safety Council, Composition and Roles." (See also
Appendix 4 of the Kansas University Safety Plan.)
The role and responsibilities of the Department of Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) are described in the
mission statement for that Department.
The role and responsibilities of the Department of Facilities Operations - Environmental Stewardship Program are described
in the mission statement for that Department.
Policy Adoption & Revision History
The Environment, Health and Safety Council recommended the "University of Kansas-Lawrence Campus Environmental Policy," for
approval by the Provost on 03/20/1997.
The Provost Office adopted the original version for implementation on the Lawrence Campus on 03/26/1997.
EHS revised this policy on 12/28/2005.
The Provost Office re-approved this policy on 03/01/2006.